Historic Franklin Cemetery is located in the center of Franklin Village, Michigan on the highest part of the Village. It was established in 1827, just three years after the founding of the Village, by the Village’s founding families. It is the third oldest active cemetery in the State of Michigan, and is designated as an ”Historic Country Cemetery” on the National Register of Historic places.
The Franklin Cemetery is owned by a private, tax-exempt nonprofit organization known as the Franklin Cemetery Association (the “Association”). The Association, incorporated in Michigan in 1939, is comprised of many members who typically own burial rights in the Cemetery. The Association is governed by a Board of Directors, elected by the general membership. When a family purchases burial rights through the purchase of a grave site, the family becomes part of the cemetery community.
The Association maintains a professionally-managed Trust fund, which provides the resources for perpetual care of the Cemetery grounds and to pay a Cemetery administrator.